Bread & Roses Community Fund seeks Director of Resource Development
Are you passionate about inspiring people to support the work of movement builders and grassroots activists? Are you an experienced fundraiser, organizer, or project manager who’s always striving to meet that next ambitious goal? Are you skilled at connecting with people and getting them involved?
Bread & Roses Community Fund believes in change, not charity. We organize donors to give at all levels to support community-based groups in building movements for racial and economic justice. Since 1977, Bread & Roses has distributed more than $10 million in grants and provided thousands of hours of leadership development and other technical assistance programming to hundreds of community-based groups fighting for better schools, good jobs, fewer prisons, quality healthcare, a safe environment, and much more.
The director of resource development will work with the executive director and development committee of the board to create and implement all aspects of the annual development plan, including all fundraising efforts, planning and executing our annual gala and other special events, and producing compelling and concise communications materials. The position reports to the executive director and works closely with volunteer committees and the board of directors.
The ideal candidate will be a generalist with respect to development and a strategist with strong project management skills. While they may engage in individual and major gift solicitation directly, commensurate with experience, they will primarily be responsible for driving our entire development program and supporting the executive director, members of the board and other volunteers in making fundraising asks. We prefer candidates with fundraising experience (paid or volunteer) but are also open to candidates with organizing or project management skills and who understand the relational and intentional aspects of fundraising.
- Oversee all aspects of fundraising and resource development, working with the executive director and development committee to create and implement the organization’s overall fundraising strategy and annual development plan.
- Manage all aspects of work with major, mid-level and grassroots donors, including research, prospecting, cultivation and stewardship and work with the executive director and board members to realize ambitious fundraising goals.
- Plan and execute engagement opportunities for donors and other stakeholders, including Bread & Roses’ annual signature event, Tribute to Change, as well as house parties, receptions, community forums, brown bag lunches, and other events.
- Oversee all strategic communications efforts, both electronic and print, including the newsletter, direct mail and online campaigns, and the website.
- Craft compelling written materials to communicate with donors and prospects, including print and online appeals, newsletter articles, email announcements, grant proposals and reports, and acknowledgement letters.
- Oversee operations and systems related to development including managing donor information and other record keeping.
- Provide management and supervision for staff, volunteers and interns.
- Work occasional evenings and weekends.
Skills and experience
While no candidate will possess every single desired skill or personal attribute, successful candidates will possess many of them. Even if you aren’t sure you have them but are excited about the position, we encourage you to apply.
- Mission alignment: Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues, progressive social change and belief in the core values of Bread & Roses.
- Strong inter-personal skills: Demonstrated ability to authentically build trust, credibility, and goodwill with a wide range of audiences (staff, donors, board members) and across race, class, and age.
- Effective project management skills: Detail oriented with demonstrated ability to create plans, set objectives, track progress towards goals, and achieve goals. Can move people to action and hold them accountable without formal authority. Proactive at identifying and resolving challenges as they arise.
- Solid fundraiser: Fundraising experience (paid or volunteer) is preferable. If none: Demonstrated understanding of the relational and intentional aspects of fundraising, and demonstrated ability to quickly learn new skills and accept feedback.
- Strategic thinker and planner: Demonstrated strategic thinking skills, ideally around fundraising and fundraising planning. Take initiative and proactively seek out, identify and pursue opportunities that arise.
- Strong oral and written communicator.
Bread & Roses is committed to affirmative action and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, elderly candidates, and candidates with disabilities to apply.
The position is based in Philadelphia.
Salary range is $70,000-$80,000 annually based on experience (with room for growth) and includes a competitive benefits package, including generous paid time off, 100% employer paid health and dental coverage, FSA for health and child care expenses, 401k with employer match after the first year, and more.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter to Bread & Roses Community Fund, 1315 Walnut St., Suite 1300, Philadelphia, PA 19107 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. We will begin reviewing applications in late May/early June, although applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. If our job announcement is on our website, we are still accepting applications. We appreciate all applicants but please be advised that we can only respond to those best qualified for the position.
Posted May 7, 2018
Jobs for Change
Join our Jobs for Change group to receive notifications of job openings in social change work in the Philadelphia area. You can also post your organization’s job openings through the group.