Jobs for Change Listserve
As a service to our community, we manage a listserve to publicize opportunities at local movement organizations. You can join to receive emails about job and internship listings at movement organizations in the Philadelphia region. You can choose to receive each email as they are sent or receive a weekly digest. You can also post your organization’s job openings through the group.
Salary posting policy
To further promote racial equity and economic justice for all people, Bread & Roses is requiring the listing of a salary or salary range for all job postings on our Philly Jobs for Change listserve. Studies have shown that not disclosing a clear salary during the hiring process perpetuates wage disparities based on race and gender. We invite you to read more about the importance of salary transparency in this piece by Vu Le.
All postings for paid employment opportunities must include a salary or salary range. Any job posting that does not include a salary will be rejected. Rejected postings can be resubmitted after a transparent salary or salary range is provided. This will not affect volunteer opportunities or other clearly labeled unpaid labor.
How to join the listserve
If you have a Gmail/Google account, you can join the group from this page: https://groups.google.com/g/phillyjobsforchange/about.
If you don’t have a Gmail/Google account, you can join by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Careers at Bread & Roses Community Fund
Bread & Roses Community Fund is a multiracial organization committed to advancing racial, social, and economic justice. We believe representation matters, so we strive to ensure that our staff reflects the communities we serve.
When we have an opening, we strongly encourage Black people, indigenous people, people of color, women, LGBTQ people, elderly people, people with disabilities, and people with arrest and conviction records to apply.
We seek people who share our theory of change and want to support Bread & Roses’ mission to organize donors and move money to grassroots movements led by people most affected by oppression and injustice as a key pathway to our collective liberation.
Bread & Roses provides competitive compensation, including a fair wage and comprehensive benefits, generous paid time off, 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision coverage; dependent coverage; short- and long-term disability insurance; life insurance; an employer-paid annual health and wellness fund; a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for health and childcare expenses that employees can contribute to tax-free through payroll deduction; a 401(k) with 5% employer match after the first year of employment; and eligibility for sabbatical after seven years of employment.
Hiring at Bread & Roses
We use a hiring approach that is intended to reduce bias and promote equity. Our approach is greatly informed by The Management Center, a nonprofit management resource center for social change organizations.
We value your time. We know that you may be fitting in interviews between other responsibilities, so we commit to arriving on time and to ending interviews at the scheduled time. When we request a job-related exercise or assignment from you, we will provide a stipend out of respect for your time and effort, and we will never use your work product outside of the hiring process.
We value transparency. Job seeking is stressful and interviewing is hard. We want to make the process as comfortable for you as possible, so we stay in communication with you about what to expect at each step in the process. We include the salary range for every position we post. When you are invited to interview, we let you know how many Bread & Roses staff members will participate in each interview. We develop a standard set of questions related to the job that we ask every candidate. We let you know at the start of each interview how many questions we plan to ask so you can manage your time as you respond. Sometimes we provide questions in advance of the interview. During longer second and third round interviews, we build breaks into the agenda.
We value relationships. We know that you are interviewing us as much as we are interviewing you, so we make space for you to get to know us throughout the hiring process. There is dedicated time in each interview for you to ask questions and learn more about what it’s like to work at Bread & Roses.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
Bread & Roses Community Fund requires all employees to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations, including booster vaccinations if eligible.
How the Process Works
When we have a job opening at Bread & Roses, here’s what you can expect:
- A description of the job, the skills and experience we are looking for, and the salary range are included in the job posting.
- Openings are posted for four to six weeks and include an application deadline.
- When the deadline has passed, the hiring committee reviews applications and invites six to ten candidates to a first round interview within two weeks of the application deadline. We do not review applications or begin interviews prior to the deadline.
- Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we don’t contact candidates unless we invite you for an interview.
- You may be asked to complete a brief screening before first round interviews.
If you are invited to an interview at Bread & Roses, here’s what you can expect:
- The hiring manager and (generally) one other staff person conduct first round interviews, which typically last 45 minutes to an hour.
- The hiring committee includes the hiring manager and at least two Bread & Roses staff members with whom you would work closely if you were hired.
- We ask every candidate the same list of questions.
- Each interviewer fills out a rubric independently after each interview that is shared with the hiring committee.
- We will dedicate time at the end of each interview for you to ask us questions.
- After the first-round interview, candidates are sometimes asked to complete a job-related exercise. If you are asked to do this, we will provide a stipend out of respect for your time. We will not use your work product outside of the hiring process.
- Four to six candidates will be invited to a second-round interview about two weeks after the first round is complete.
- If the open position is at the director level or above, we will also conduct third round interviews with three to four candidates. These interviews include meeting with the entire Bread & Roses staff, and we typically request additional job-related exercises.
- We will check references for two to three candidates.
- We will contact all finalists within two weeks of completing the final interview round.
Current openings at Bread & Roses
The deadline to apply for the Program Coordinator position has passed.
We are currently hiring a Senior Director of Finance & Administration. The deadline is rolling. View the pdf of the job description.