Women, girls, trans, gender nonconforming, and LGBTQI+ people are the targets of systemic oppression based on gender identity and/or gender expression. Gender justice exists when all people— especially women, girls, trans, gender nonconforming, and LGBTQI+ people —are able to identify and express their gender and sexual orientation without fear, discrimination or harm, and have the economic, social, and political power and resources to create thriving, safe, and just communities.
The Gender Justice Organizing Fund is a special fund at Bread & Roses. The first grants were made in the Gender Justice Organizing Fund in 2018 and another round of grants were made in 2019. Our 2020 Gender Justice Giving Project made the latest round of grantees, who you can learn more about.
Does my group qualify for a Gender Justice Organizing Fund grant?
The Gender Justice Organizing Fund makes grants to groups that:
- Meet all eligibility criteria
- Have a long-term vision for and engage strategies that focus on gender justice
- Are led by people most affected by gender oppression, and build broad membership and leadership bases that can survive when key leaders step down
- Understand power differences based on identity and can talk about how they are trying to challenge those power imbalances both within their organizations and in their communities
- Prioritize ongoing education/consciousness raising for constituents and allies that broadens their membership base
- Have a plan, including short term and long term goals that are specific, achievable, and relevant to gender justice
- Are knowledgeable about other organizations working on the same issue, and are able to work in coalition across movements, issues, and communities to amplify impact
- Are less likely to be funded by more traditional funders, because of their commitment to challenging power and prioritizing the leadership of marginalized people; therefore, a grant from Bread & Roses Community Fund would be critical to seeding or sustaining their work
What is the award size from the Gender Justice Organizing Fund?
The Gender Justice Organizing Fund makes $10,000 grants.
Where does the money for this grants come from?
The money for these grants will be raised by the 2021 Gender Justice Giving Project, which is currently recruiting members. It kicks off on September 22.
If you would like to make a gift to this fund in the meantime, please use our general donation form and write “Gender Justice Organizing Fund” in the notes.
Apply for the Gender Justice Organizing Fund
The deadline to apply is October 15, 2021.
We held an virtual information session on September 17.