Women, girls, transgender, and gender non-conforming people are the targets of systemic oppression based on gender identity and/or gender expression. Gender justice exists when all people—especially women, girls, transgender and gender non-conforming people—are able to identify and express their gender and sexual orientation without fear, discrimination or harm, and have the economic, social, and political power and resources to make healthy decisions for themselves, their families and their communities in all areas of their lives.
The Gender Justice Fund is a special fund at Bread & Roses. The first grants were made in the Gender Justice Fund in 2018.
Does my group qualify for a Gender Justice Fund grant?
The Gender Justice Fund makes grants to groups that:
- Meet all eligibility criteria
- Have a long-term vision for and engage strategies that focus on gender justice
- Are led by people most affected by injustice, and build broad membership and leadership bases that can survive when key leaders step down
- Understand power differences based on identity and can talk about how they are trying to challenge those power imbalances both within their organizations and in their communities
- Prioritize ongoing education/consciousness raising for constituents and allies that broadens their membership base
- Have a plan, including short term and long term goals that are specific, achievable, and relevant to gender justice
- Are knowledgeable about other organizations working on the same issue, and are able to work in coalition across movements, issues, and communities to amplify impact
- Are less likely to be funded by more traditional funders, because of their commitment to challenging power and prioritizing the leadership of marginalized people; therefore, a grant from Bread & Roses Community Fund would be critical to seeding or sustaining their work
What is the award size from the Gender Justice Fund?
The Gender Justice Fund makes $10,000 grants.
The deadline has passed.
How do I support the Gender Justice Fund?
Support this fund by making a donation now.
Email email@example.com for more information or call 215.731.1107.