Women, girls, transgender, and gender non-conforming people are the targets of systemic oppression based on gender identity and/or gender expression. Gender justice exists when all people—especially women, girls, transgender and gender non-conforming people—are able to identify and express their gender and sexual orientation without fear, discrimination or harm, and have the economic, social, and political power and resources to make healthy decisions for themselves, their families and their communities in all areas of their lives.
The Gender Justice Fund will make grants to organizations across the Philadelphia region that have been building leadership among women, girls, transgender or gender non-conforming people, engaging in community organizing, and mobilizing their communities to address a wide variety of issues affecting women, girls, transgender, and gender non-conforming people, including: reproductive justice; gender-based violence; workers’ rights; mass incarceration and police violence; and equal access to healthcare, education, affordable housing, and more.
The Gender Justice Fund will make grants to organizations within which:
- At least 50% of the leaders identify as women, girls, transgender, or gender non-conforming people
- Leadership is being developed from within these communities
- Community organizing is being used as a strategy to addresses the concerns of women, girls, transgender, or gender non-conforming people in our region
The Gender Justice Fund will make grants to both established organizations and organizations that are new, emerging, or new to Bread & Roses.
Does my group qualify for a Gender Justice Fund grant?
The Gender Justice Fund will make grants to organizations that:
- Meet all basic eligibility criteria
- Have a long-term vision for and engage strategies that promote gender justice
- Are building a local base for taking collective action against the problem(s) being addressed
- Are changing the balance of power between community members and decision makers
- Have a strong analysis about race and class and describe how their work is promoting gender justice at the intersections of race, class and gender
What is the award size from the Gender Justice Fund?
The Gender Justice Fund will make grants of $10,000. The number of grants that will be made depends on the amount of money raised by the 2018 Gender Justice Giving Project.
Can an organization receive a grant from the Gender Justice Fund and other Funds at Bread & Roses?
Organizations can apply for a grant in every fund in which they meet the eligibility criteria. Organizations can receive up to $25,000 in grants from Bread & Roses within a 12-month period.
The deadline to apply is May 25, 2018.
How do I support the Gender Justice Fund?
To make a gift to the Gender Justice Fund, click here or call Aarati Kasturirangan at 215.731.1107 ext. 206.
Email email@example.com for more information or call 215.731.1007 ext. 206.