About the Opportunity Fund
Opportunity Fund grants are intended for special projects or emergencies that are not part of an organization’s ongoing work. These activities are frequently in response to rapidly emerging issues and might include: demonstrations and rallies, coalition efforts, conferences, or forums.
Who are previous Opportunity Fund grantees?
The Opportunity Fund has supported a wide range of community groups, from ACT UP Philadelphia to Witness to Innocence. Check out our list of recent grantees to see if the Opportunity Fund is right for your group.
Does my group qualify for a grant from the Opportunity Fund?
The Opportunity Fund makes grants to groups that:
- Meet all basic eligibility requirements and funding criteria
- Are facing an emerging issue, project, or situation that is not part of the organization’s ongoing work
- Have not received an Opportunity Fund grant within the past 12 months
More generally, Bread & Roses provides grants to groups that have a long-term vision and engage strategies that promote social justice, including:
- A focus on organizing and activism (not social service work)
- A clear understanding of the root causes of the problem they are working to resolve
- A strategy that includes collective action by the community and results in concrete outcomes
- A vision that emphasizes changing the systems that create or perpetuate the problem being addressed
- Leadership that is primarily composed of people affected by the problem that is being addressed
- A priority for developing leadership from within the affected community
What is the award size from the Opportunity Fund?
Grants range from $50 to $500.
What is the deadline for the Opportunity Fund?
Proposals must be complete and submitted electronically by 5:00 p.m. on the 1st of each month. If the first is a weekend or holiday, the deadline is the first work day of the month.
How do I apply for the Opportunity Fund?
Read the general guidelines carefully before applying. Make sure that your organization meets both the general guidelines and the specific guidelines (above) for the Opportunity Fund.
If you need assistance completing the application or are unable to complete the application online, please contact us at 215.731.1107 or firstname.lastname@example.org.