The Future Fund provides $5,000 grants to groups that are working on emerging issues or developing new approaches to social justice activism or community organizing. These groups may employ one or more effective strategies, such as cultural work, media advocacy, and political education.
Who are Future Fund grantees?
The Future Fund has supported a wide range of organizations. Check out our list of recent grantees to see if the Future Fund is right for your organization. Also see characteristics of a Bread & Roses grantee to see if your organization is a good fit.
Does my group qualify for a grant from the Future Fund?
The Future Fund makes grants to groups that:
- Meet all basic eligibility criteria
- Are new or emerging groups or organizations that are new to Bread & Roses
- Are focusing on developing their capacity and skills to build a local base and take collective action against the problem being addressed
- Are led by people most affected by injustice, and focus on building broad membership and leadership bases that can survive when key leaders step down
- Understand power and can talk about how they are trying to challenge power imbalances within their organizations and in their communities as well as between community members and policy makers
- Are less likely to be funded by more traditional funders, because of their commitment to challenging power and prioritizing the leadership of marginalized people; therefore, a grant from Bread & Roses would be critical to seeding or sustaining their work
Groups cannot receive grants from both the Future Fund and the Racial & Economic Justice Fund during the same year.
What is the award size from the Future Fund?
The Future Fund makes $5,000 grants. Groups who have received grants from the Future Fund in the past may reapply in the following grant cycle.
Where does the money for Future Fund grants come from?
The money for Future Fund grants is being raised by the volunteer members of the 2020 Future Fund Giving Project.
Apply to the Future Fund
The 2020 deadline has passed.
How can I learn more?
If you’re interested in applying to this fund in the future, we encourage you to watch this recording of our information session about the Racial & Economic Justice Fund and the Future Fund.