Bread & Roses Community Fund Seeks Director of Development
Are you passionate about inspiring people to support the work of movement builders and grassroots activists? Are you an experienced fundraiser and strategist who’s always striving to meet that next ambitious goal? Are you skilled at connecting with people and getting them involved?
Bread & Roses Community Fund believes in change, not charity. We organize donors at all levels to support community based groups in building movements for racial and economic justice. Since 1977, Bread & Roses has distributed more than $10 million in grants and provided thousands of hours of leadership development and other technical assistance programming to hundreds of community based groups fighting for better schools, good jobs, fewer prisons, quality healthcare, a safe environment, and much more.
The director of development is responsible for planning and executing fundraising programs consistent with the organization’s annual and long range development goals and for creating strategies to support the growth and expansion of the organization in line with Bread & Roses Community Fund’s mission, vision and goals. Reporting to the executive director, this person also works closely with volunteer committees and the board of directors.
- Oversee all aspects of fundraising and resource development, working with the executive director and development committee to develop and implement the organization’s overall fundraising strategy and annual development plan.
- Manage all aspects of work with major donors, mid-level donors and grassroots donors, including research, prospecting, cultivation and stewardship and provide support to the executive director and board members to realize ambitious fundraising goals.
- Plan and execute engagement opportunities for donors and other stakeholders, including Bread & Roses’ annual signature event, Tribute to Change, as well as house parties, receptions, community forums, brown bag lunches, and other events.
- Oversee all strategic communications efforts, both electronic and print, including the newsletter, direct mail and online campaigns, and the website.
- Craft compelling written materials to communicate with donors and prospects, including print and online appeals, newsletter articles, email announcements, grant proposals and reports, and acknowledgement letters.
- Oversee operations and systems related to development including managing donor information and other record keeping.
- Provide management and supervision for volunteers and interns.
- Work occasional evenings and weekends.
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues, progressive social change and belief in the core values of Bread & Roses.
- Minimum of five years successful fundraising experience including two years as a senior manager or director and demonstrated skill in managing staff and volunteers.
- Successful track record in identifying, soliciting and closing gifts from individuals and foundations. Major gifts and planned giving experience a plus.
- Detail oriented with demonstrated ability to create plans, set objectives, track progress towards goals, and achieve goals.
- Impeccable written and oral communication, project management, record keeping and technology skills.
Bread & Roses is committed to affirmative action and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, elderly candidates and candidates with disabilities to apply.
Salary range is $65,000-$75,000 annually based on experience and includes a generous benefits package.
How to Apply
The deadline to apply has passed.
Send resume and cover letter to Bread & Roses Community Fund, 1315 Walnut St., Suite 1300, Philadelphia, PA 19107 or email email@example.com. No phone calls please. Application deadline is April 29, 2016. We appreciate all applicants but please be advised that we can only respond to those best qualified for the position.
View the PDF job announcement here.