The Giving Project is an innovative model for building leadership and moving money for real change in the Philadelphia region. Each Giving Project brings together a cross-class, cross-race, intergenerational group of people who share a vision for social justice and want to apply their time, talent, and resources to supporting movements for social change.
Participants embark on a transformative 6-month process of shared learning and personal growth to gain a deeper understanding of race and racism, the impact of the growing wealth divide, and how to support community-based organizations mobilizing for racial and economic justice. They commit to making a financial contribution that is personally meaningful, with no minimum amount, and to raising money for their Giving Project from their friends and families. Participants also receive training and coaching to support their fundraising success.
Each Giving Project then guides participants through a transparent, democratic decision-making process for distributing the money they’ve raised as grants to community-based organizations.
Who can participate in a Giving Project?
Anyone who cares about social justice can participate in a Giving Project. There is no prerequisite knowledge or experience.
Current Giving Projects
- 2018 Gender Justice Giving Project
- 2018 Immigration Justice Giving Project
Now recruiting. Commitment: September 26, 2018 through March 13, 2019
How to join a Giving Project
Interested in joining an upcoming Giving Project? Contact director of programs Aarati Kasturirangan at email@example.com or 215.731.1107 ext. 206.
Past Giving Projects
- Winter 2018 Giving Project is currently making grants in the Racial & Economic Justice Fund and Future Fund
- Fall 2017 Giving Project made grants in the Black-led, Black-centered Organizing Fund
- Spring 2017 Giving Project made grants in the Racial & Economic Justice Fund and Future Fund
- Spring 2016 Giving Project made grants in the Racial & Economic Justice Fund and Future Fund
Giving Projects beyond Philadelphia
Bread & Roses Community Fund is one of six movement funds around the country running Giving Projects to engage donors in funding movements for change:
- Chinook Fund
- Crossroads Fund
- Headwaters Foundation For Justice
- North Star Fund
- Social Justice Fund Northwest
Find out if there’s a Giving Project or social justice fund near you.